Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

My drive home from work today was extremely lonely. I have been spending the last week and a half with a bright, hilarious, female companion as I ripped around the Annapolis Valley. I have been listening to “Yes Please” the new audio book by the brilliant Amy Poehler.

I am a BIG fan of listening to the comedians read their own books as I drive; it helps pass the incredible amount of time I spend in my car. Whilst listening to incredible books like Tina Fey’s “Bossypants” and Mindy Kaling’s “Is EveryoneHanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” I actually started to resent having passengers during my trips who distracted me from listening to the special voices living inside my car. “Yes Please” was no different. My sister and other travel companions would recognize Poehler’s voice instantly and tell me to continue listening with them or start the book over.

Sometimes it is nice to have a little something to yourself, even if people all over the world are enjoying the same thing at the exact same time. There is something so intimate and private about listening to someone read you a book and tell you their stories that it makes you feel connected to them in a way that would probably creep them out (at least a little bit).

To be honest with you I am not big on listening to books that are anything other than authors talking about their own lives. I could never listen to Game of Thrones via audio book, although it would take until I settled into retirement to finish them. Listening to Tina and Mindy’s books really added that special touch, something I think I missed by reading Sarah Silverman’s ballsy “The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee”.

Listening to “Yes Please” was a treat. Poehler’s book is honest in a way that the other books in the female comedian semi-biography genre are not. Her take on life, her words of advice and her humble roots combine to make a very accessible book that can be appreciated by readers of all ages. I love the cameo voice-overs interjecting with advice and bits throughout the book as well. Not only does Amy offer up words of wisdom from experience her parents also interject with more advice on living.

I love the advice on everything from sex to tipping waiters in “Yes Please” but I can happily tell you that the book is not preachy. Poehler’s counsel is perfectly balanced with tales from her childhood and her personal and professional life as an adult. As much as I love Parks and Recreation I am happy that she feels too close to the show right now to write in depth about it, she acknowledges the impact of the show on her life but leaves more to be discussed (hopefully) in her next book.

It is hard to determine what my favourite part of the book is because the entire book was a pleasure to listen too. I can narrow it down to three parts:
-      Amy reflecting back on her time at SNL. I believe that the set of Saturday Night Live is equally as magical as Disney World/Land and listening to Amy talk about her time as part of the cast makes me feel like I am listening to a child talk about why they like Christmas so much.
-      Listening to Amy discuss her appreciation and love for the cast of Parks and Recreation. It sounds like the incredible characters that have made us love them on TV are just as easy to love off-screen. The workplace environment Poehler discusses sounds like the dream, there’s nothing better than working with talented, fun individuals who mesh well. You can hear the love in her voice when she talks about her co-workers and that is something to be cherished. It is nice to know that the cast of Parks and Recreation will miss working together as much (or more) than the fans will miss watching it after the final season.
-      The advice. Yes, I had to mention it one more time… and tip your server well. Words of wisdom touch on many topics like finding confidence, sleep deprivation, hugging inappropriate people and finding ways to be fun/funny during challenging times. There is a gem for everyone in this book.  

Poehler’s book is a winner; pick it up for any lady on your Christmas list this year. Or better yet, check out the audio book and have the one and only Amy Poehler read it to her herself! 

Last thought on “Yes Please”:


I think Amy Poehler could be the next Oprah. I just deleted a long paragraph justifying my stance on this statement but I really think you should let your mind wander on this topic until you agree with me. My question to you is, who would be her Gail? I would do crazy things to be invited to the “Amy’s Favourite Things” episode of this hypothetical television show…

For now I guess you can settle for checking out the "Yes Please" tour! For showtimes and locations click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment