Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Month Away From My Cell Phone

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to go without your cell phone? 

I totally had until I let my boyfriend perform a little at-home high-risk surgery on my iPhone. It needed a new WiFi antenna and a new screen and he is the most tech savvy person I know so the service was gifted to me for Valentine's Day. We both totally underestimated the skills of iPhone surgeons, so after a painful two hours of attempted reconstruction and a tear Kevin decided to leave it for the experts.

So, there is the story about why I have been mobile-less for over a month.

Time has flown by and I am pretty surprised by my realizations about being disconnected... I don't feel like I am missing much, but I would really like to have my cell phone back.  

The biggest annoyance I have from the entire ordeal is that I have to carry around multiple devices rather than my one-stop shop iPhone. Everywhere I go I carry an iPod, iPad, camera and sometimes a video camera (just in case) like I am back in high school. You are right, I did not have an iPad in high school but I did have a phone (eventually) so it balances out. 

I have more Twitter and Instagram followers than I did before my iPhone took a nap and my blogs have received more traffic. That surprised me because I tweet and take way more pictures with my iPhone than I do with my iPad etc.

I haven't wasted my time on long drawn out phone calls and I haven't had to worry about silencing my phone whenever I get to work. 

I do miss the safety blanket feeling of my car's Bluetooth system that connects with the phone during emergencies and for phone calls. I hate driving at night and this is one feature of my Focus that makes me feel so much safer. 

I have contemplated buying a legit alarm clock, I like having two alarms set just in case. I triple check my iPad's alarms before I go to bed each night rather than having the safety of a second alarm. 

I really do not miss Kevin rolling his eyes whenever I checked my phone in public or took a silly picture. 

And you know what, I do not miss texting. Seriously. Not a bit. I wasn't a huge fan to begin with and switching to an iPhone made me even more of a hater. I am the worst at it, I take forever and for good reason. If you need to talk to me, call me. 

Now, having an iPad has meant that I have a little connectivity. I can Skype important phone calls etc. and I still regularly update my social media on a less annoying basis (I am guessing).

I thought about giving up my cell phone when I moved to the Kootenays. I have met a few people here who just do not bother with them and I thought it would a super easy way to save money and be a little more mysterious. But, I'm not sure I am ready for that yet. 

I wouldn't say I am a slave to my cell phone, but I do miss it. A lot.

In fact, I cannot wait for it to return from its adventure to Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment