Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Why I Love McHappy Day

I absolutely love McHappy Day.


I have spent time working at McDonald’s (in different capacities) at pretty much every semi-adult point in my life. After my first dust-up practicing driving and smashing my mother’s new mini-van I worked at McDonald’s to pay off my debts. When I started university I was underage and bored, so I worked at McDonald’s to pass the time. That ended the weekend I turned 19 and is not a coincidence. While prepping for Radio School and while interning during radio school I worked in Promotions for McDonald’s in Calgary and helped roll-out McCafe products.

What I am trying to say here is I have a history with McDonald’s. It was not until I started working in Radio that I actually got to experience a McHappy Day. One of my first days interning with 90.3 AMP Radio in Calgary was spent at McHappy Day with pretty much everyone from the station. It was so much fun seeing everyone working together behind the counter to deliver the best quality food in the quick food service industry.

Seriously, I felt like we were these kids just making all the McMagic happen behind the counter that day.

Side note, I desperately wanted one of these play sets when I was a kid but it was one of those items on the Bruce family restricted play lists. That is not a real thing, but for some reason we were not allowed to have one of these sets. We had the Fisher Price laundry and kitchen sets but not a McDonald’s Drive-Thru. It’s not like my parents were trying to teach us to aim higher than McD’s, we totally had a gas station set too.  I digress.

Anyways, I love McHappy Day. Working at it is an absolute treat. $1 from the sales of hot McCafe beverages, Big Macs and Happy Meals go to Ronald McDonald House and children’s charities locally. Last year over $8,000,000 was raised and 2014 marks the 21st McHappy Day.

One of the awesome things I got to do as a Brand Ambassador for McDonald’s was visit Ronald McDonald Houses in Calgary and in Red Deer. These houses go above and beyond for the families who unfortunately have to spend time in them. Families stay at Ronald McDonald House usually if there is an ill child in the family; the time they spend at Ronald McDonald House gives them a home away from home during a very tough time in their lives. Both houses I have visited have a “magic room” with local flare that the ill child gets to visit before they leave to go back home (or if they have had an especially tough day) for a magical treat picked out just for them.

So I am urging you, go to McDonald’s buy a participating product or donate generously today. On top of the financial contributions from events like this donating time is key too. Organizations visit the house and prepare suppers and help out in ways that do not involve money too. Time donations are always something that is appreciated and needed with Ronald McDonald Houses as well.

For more information about getting involved with a Ronald McDonald House near you click here.

I strongly encourage you to get out and support this worthy cause. I was a little heartbroken because I did not think I would get to participate this year. I planned on stopping in for lunch and having a little cheat day with a Happy Meal, but this morning I got a call from the Morning Angel herself Jenny Fines asking me to join in the fun at Castlegar McDonald’s. I was not there long but I was so happy to be included for my first McHappy Day on-air!


Time to get that Happy Meal! 

I will try to find some of my pictures from inside Ronald McDonald House a little later and add them in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment