Thursday, October 31, 2013

My First Halloween On-Air

Sorry to anyone included in this photo collage, I guess
you have learned an important lesson about taking photos
with me.
My stomach feels like an alien baby is trying to escape me. I have consumed more than my fair share of Halloween carbs today. 

This morning I woke up dreading today, dreading a day that has in the past been one of my favourite celebrations of the year, Halloween. I have not really taken part in Halloween the past three years since I graduated from university and started dating a Halloween’s Eve Baby. Yes, my boyfriend’s birthday is the day before Halloween so he (rightfully) opts out of Halloween every year because he claims it steals the attention he should be receiving because of his birth date. My birthday is the day before April Fool’s Day (March 31) and my little brother’s birthday is the day after April Fool’s Day (April 1) so I completely understand how annoying it is to have another occasion steal your day.

Today, I am committing one of the cardinal sins of Halloween. I am wearing a Halloween ‘costume’ that is basically defined by a prop. Here’s why: yesterday it was decided that we would acknowledge Halloween here at the station by handing out cookies and hot chocolate and as a bonus we are would be expected to take photos. Last night, I rushed to decorate the studio for photos and then I rushed to get home in time to pick up groceries for a nice supper for my boyfriend’s birthday and some Halloween garb to dress up in to appease the boss-man. Only one of those things ended up happening, the studio ended up getting decorated.
So today I am in a jean jacket, a lbd, cowboy boots and have to carry a guitar around with me all day for my Taylor Swift ‘costume’ to make any sense. Seriously, no one gets it. Not even after I markered a 13 on my hand. I have to drop, “oh my gawwwwd” and stand speechless with my hands covering my mouth, wonderstruck on life for people to understand. Fun fact: my ‘costume’ is three small items away from being the simple witch that I wanted to be. Another fun fact: it was impossible to find a witch’s hat after 6pm in Castlegar and Trail the night before Halloween.

For the first time today, I am having a lame costume Halloween. My mom has always prided herself with giving us children incredible costumes, no matter what the challenge was she always rose to the occasion with the help of my grandmother. Here are a few epic costumes from the past; some of them were used both for our town’s children’s parade and for Halloween. We may have also had a pretty impressive recruitment process to find people to take on additional characters.

But, after hammering out a four hour radio show where I almost exclusively talked about Halloween I had the most fun I think I have ever had on-air. It really turned my attitude around, getting a ton of requests and talking about something that clearly so many people are excited about.

I guess I will start planning next year’s costume now… 

Here are some pictures from today around the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment