Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 08, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Petrified”

I love “Petrified”. Inside a wire nest sit three soapstone eggs, one has hatched allowing us to see its colorful interior. “Petrified” sits beside yesterday’s Sculpture of the Day “Link”, just off Columbia Avenue in front of City Hall.

There is a magical element to these prehistoric looking eggs. I think they prove how impossible it is to judge something by its exterior. I love the vibrant interior of the hatched egg. I cannot imagine how hard it was for Spring Shine to move these gigantic eggs and manage positioning them in the nest.


Could “Petrified” be the next permanent addition to Castlegar’s Sculpture collection? I think it fitting. So many amazing things get their start and grow here. Often they leave the nest, but as one the new friends I have met here in Castlegar told me, they always find themselves back in the beautiful Kootenays.  

"Petrified" is a sculpture by another very talented BC artist, Spring Shine is based out of Argenta and you can learn more about him, "Petrified" and his other work by clicking here.

To see my previous blog on Castlegar Sculpture Walk's towering sculpture "Link" click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment