Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June 25, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Sea Swimmer”


Today for my sculpture of the day I ventured down Columbia Avenue looking for a little inspiration. Today was one of those days where I wanted to jump in my car and gun it for Mexico, never to be seen or heard from again. Yes, today I was looking for a little extra freedom with heavy workload and I found it in “Sea Swimmer”.

To be completely honest with you “Sea Swimmer” does remind me of Disney and Pixar’s character crush from Finding Nemo, that is totally a compliment to artist Heather Wall because everyone knows the painstaking lengths the teams at Disney go to when making movies to mirror the animals they are portraying.

Oh the freedom of being a turtle set to swim the seas. To be honest with you I hate swimming and I consider what turtles do in the water much more graceful than actual swimming. To me (because I am horrible at it) swimming involves frantic movements that are so unlike turtles, turtles are so smooth and graceful in comparison to how I envision the average person swimming.



Heather Wall is another BC artist (from Powell River) represented on the Castlegar. Sculpture Walk. For more on Heather Wall click here.

“Sea Swimmer” is a green sea turtle created from steel, the detail on this piece is incredible. This green sea turtle seems so happy to be floating free from the world care. Not only is the turtle, focus of this piece, incredibly detailed the starfish and the fish that adorn this sculpture also are impeccably crafted from steel.


I am so impressed with “Sea Swimmer”, so much so that it is definitely in contention for my vote for the People’s Choice Award! By the way, "Sea Swimmer" is sculpture number sixteen in my blog series, that means I am halfway through Castlegar Sculpture Walk 2014!

Have you read my previous blog on “Dreamer”? If not you can check it out by clicking here.





No comments:

Post a Comment