Tuesday, September 10, 2013

#TuneTuesday: September 10, 2013

Unfortunately we will never share #MusicMonday because I work Tuesday to Saturday. So I will be hooking you up with my favorite music cuts on what I am calling #TuneTuesday. I would love it if you called it that too, let’s make it a thing).

I am going to always try to pick one break out hit, a big band that everyone has heard from before and then another song I love from a Canadian band that I think deserves a shout out and attention for their incredible work. This week my selection covers both bases.

My choice for this week’s #TuneTuesday is a big one and yes I have just picked one video this week. I was going to throw in Miley Cyrus’s ‘Wrecking Ball’ for good measure, it is a pretty decent song but I just can’t be another share on that horrific video.

So, the only video I think you should trouble yourself with watching is Arcade Fire’s ‘Reflektor’. Okay, there are technically two videos; don't worry I have got you covered with both of them. Seriously, it is seven minutes and forty-one seconds, it is all you need this I know, not very original. I love the song; I heard it a few days ago when it leaked online, it is incredibly catchy and rumor has it the one and only David Bowie voice is in there around the 5 minute mark. I truly hope it is his voice, it sounds pretty similar (update: David Bowie confirmed he is featured on the track). The song is super Canadian, the main lyrics are in English but there are some French supporting vocals from the angelic voice of RĂ©gine Chassagne. You can definitely hear the influence from album producer and LCD Soundsystem front man James Murphy on the track too.

I’m not even going to pretend that I know what is going on in this music video. Seriously, it is pretty trippy. It continues the ‘9’ theme that Arcade Fire had been going with promoting the new album so far. Yesterday (September 9th), the ‘Reflektor’ video was released and there was a semi-secret surprise concert for 100 lucky fans dressed in formal attire or a costume in Montreal (it started at 9pm).

Back to the video, I would love to have the Reflektor man’s mirror suit. It is pretty cool. I may not be sure what it all means, but that is what I like about the video. Arcade Fire has not dumbed-down the pretentiousness for little ole me. The video is a weird combination of elements, reminders of Stephen King’s ‘Under the Dome’ and the black and white beauty of a war-time movie. Regardless, I am sure the next video will pick up where ‘Reflektor’ left off and Arcade Fire will continue to blow my mind (and I may start to understand the madness).

If you are not a fan of Arcade Fire's take on their own song you can make your own version of 'Reflektor' by clicking here for the second 'Reflektor' video. https://www.justareflektor.com/

I am really excited for Arcade Fire’s performances a little later this month on Saturday Night Live, they will be the musical act when Tina fey hosts on September 28th.

If you must have a partner for this epic video please take into consideration a song that is the perfect song to listen to after ‘Reflektor’. It is not new, but it is a great song and video. It is The Yeah Yeah Yeahs ‘Heads Will Roll’.


Here it is:




And, if you are in the mode to continue the eerie sounds listen to (and watch)  ‘Heads Will Roll’ by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.



No comments:

Post a Comment