Tuesday, September 3, 2013

'Get Connected' with Selkirk College, Kate Goes Back to School!

Today I went back to school… again.

Up until a couple of months ago I was a professional student (June 2013 to be exact). I spent 19 years in school systems in one way or another. I spent six years in post secondary school, four years at University (StFX) and two years in Radio and Television School (NSCC). I was SUPER excited to be over that and working this year, but surprise (seriously, I was shocked) Friday afternoon I was informed I would be heading back to school on Tuesday with all the students at Selkirk College’s Castlegar Campus.

I left home with this classic Adam Sandler bit from Billy Madison (one of my favourites) in my head. Yes, I am the kid who sang this every first day of school growing up because my aunt let me watch it when I was way too young to understand 90% of the movie (she got in a lot of trouble with my very overprotective father for watching it with me). I have had it stuck in my head ALL DAY, so hopefully now you feel my pain.


I was not social when I started university, honestly this social butterfly did not come out of her cocoon until she turned 19 (I still struggle with it sometimes and revert to hermit mode whenever possible). My roommate and I survived Frosh Week by putting an ‘A’ (for athlete) on our door and hiding inside.

We were those kids, the two girls who no one knew. It was so nice to see Selkirk College combating the first-day nervousness today with a great day for their students full of activities, food, entertainment and more food. Seriously, I think I would have come out of my dorm room for the burgers Selkirk College was dishing out today, they had bacon for them… who does that? Answer: only people who really care about you and improving the state of a burger; that is amazing in my books.

Welcome to the neighborhood all you new Selkirk College students. I don’t have much time on you here in the Kootenays (if you are not from the Kootenays) or in BC in General (I’ve only been in British Columbia since July) but I am extending my hand to help you get used to this place we now call home. Seriously, lets be friends.

Here I am all packed and ready to go to school today:


For the full album checkout:




No comments:

Post a Comment