Friday, September 6, 2013

Adorable New Born Puppy and Cheetah Cub Companions

 A story from the Dallas Zoo has gone viral this afternoon. The Zoo plans to raise two new-born cheetah cubs with a Labrador retriever puppy to try to hinder aggression and act as a calming influence on the cubs as they grow into adulthood.

The cheetah cubs and the black Labrador retriever puppy are eight-weeks-old, making this the most adorable story to hit the news in a long time. The Lab puppy is names Amani and the cheetah cubs are named Winspear and Kamau.

I think this will work, when I visited the San Diego Zoo in March I saw a really cool exhibit about animals living together that you would not think could be companions. Bakka, a South African male cheetah and Miley, a female husky mix are animal companions raised together in harmony. They were so cute together, lounging around their pen and talking walks through the park together. Even licking each other clean!

Some people are questioning these tactics for raising the cheetah cubs, but I think under the guidance of experienced Zoologists at the Dallas Zoo this may just end up being just as adorable as it sounds.

Animals that grow up together (with an animal of a different species) don’t seem to have the same aggression patterns. I have seen weird pairings of cats and dogs besties on my farm growing up. I can’t wait to see a video of Winspear and Kamau wrestling with Amani in a few weeks, they are pretty cute new-borns but I think will be adorable in a couple weeks!

I'll keep an eye on this story for you! 

Here is a video of these precious, endangered cheetah cubs:


No comments:

Post a Comment