Monday, September 16, 2013

Kate's Reading Challenge Book 8: 'I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales from a Happy Life Without Children' by Jen Kirkman

OOne of my goals I set for myself on my twenty-fourth birthday was reading a book a week.  I am a little behind, moving twice and finishing school put a damper on my plan. To help motivate myself to finish books on time every week my new plan is to share my latest read with you on my blog. I will read anything and everything and I would love your suggestions, feel free to email them to me at kate@mountainfm.net.

Book 8:  'I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales from a Happy Life without Children" by Jen Kirkman 

I did not finish this week’s book review; I will not make this a habit. I was pretty bored with the book in general, which I guess I should have realized by the title. At a solid 400 page plus book on my e-reader all about not wanting to have kids and not wanting to be judged because of it. I am not huge on the idea of having kids, in fact right now at twenty-four I am pretty dead set on not having them; but I don’t feel the need to write an entire book about it.


I know this book is a bit of a bio of Jen Kirkman, but it really feels like it is loosely strung together by the fact that she does not want to have kids. I think with all the other books written by funny gals on the market these days this book just does not hold up. It does have its fun moments, moments that will make you laugh… but I am not sure they mesh well with the theme of the book and I really don’t think they are worth the pages it takes just for Kirkman to say that she does not want to have kids.

FYI, I still don't want kids. But, I'm not going to write a book about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment