Friday, August 30, 2013

Learning to Run (Again?)

Please feel free to sing the title of this blog in the style of the Foo Fighters, I sure am. 
Midday host Jenny Fines and I want to start running.
Okay, well Jenny Fines wants to start running. I want to just do a 5k and cross it off my bucket list. Before moving to the Kootenays I was in amazing shape. I went to the gym everyday and worked my butt off. Seriously, I was weight training 5 days a week (with minor cardio) and doing full cardio blasts twice a week. I was in training to get that 5k off my summer to do list.
But then I moved to BC and became a slight work addict, nixing my plans to run a 5k by the end of summer 2013. In the battle between spending half an hour working on my show prep or running, show prep will win every time. 
So, I am looking for you suggestions on getting into running. I am athletic, should I just run it and set the bar for myself that way or should I start a training regiment? To be clear, this is not about weight loss (I love my body) this is about putting one foot in front of the other foot over a distance that has been pre-determined and doing it in a timely fashion.
I have no desire to be a runner; I want to be able to say that I did it and wipe it clear off my bucket list. 
So what are your tips for breaking into the running scene? How much is too much to pay to run your first race? How much water should we bring? What is a good first finishing time? What is the best local 5k to run? Do I load up on carbs or cut them carbs before my first 5k?

I am a pretty healthy individual. I eat well; I live on a low carb diet (20g ish a day). I think I can run this cold without training, but I am still open to all suggestions and would consider giving it a few weeks of practice.

Here are some infographics I fully intend to read for advice: 



INFOGRAPHIC: Healthy Apps
by hightable.
Explore more infographics like this one on the web's largest information design community - Visually.

No comments:

Post a Comment