Monday, June 30, 2014

June 30, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Next Generation”

It has been a crazy weekend! Strangely it has been my first complete weekend away from the station and the airwaves since the first weekend of May! I took a mental holiday away from my typical day-to-day activities and had a couple “me days”. I watched a whole bunch of episodes of Hell’s Kitchen and Master Chef and chilled out. I dined at the Element and saw 22 Jump Street too! If you have not seen it yet go see it, it is better than the first!

I still managed to sneak into the station both Saturday and Sunday for a couple quick things and I still ventured to the gym but other than that I relaxed and prepared for my crazy Canada Day coming up tomorrow and Storage War III coming up on Saturday!

I actually took these photos of today’s Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day on Saturday, but I was a little preoccupied posting up some audio and a hour show skim (that you can check out here) and I never managed to write about today’s piece “Next Generation”.

What I love about “Next Generation” is how relatable it is; everyone can relate to “Next Generation”. Not everyone has been pregnant, but everyone has been the stressful bump in a woman’s stomach.  I love the round and curvy nature of the sculpture when looking at the sculpture from the side (as it displayed).

When you look at the sculpture head-on you get a different vibe from this lady, it is like another side of pregnancy.  Though the sculpture’s belly is still round her breasts and her backside are rounded and kind of pointy. I love that the baby bump is wider than the woman’s behind and that she is leaning forward a little bit, showing the stress creating another human being takes on a woman’s body.

“Next Generation” by artist Elusia Altman takes bonded aluminum (a very cold material) and makes it a warm, accessible and approachable piece that nearly everyone can relate to.  For more on Elusia Altman click here.


For my previous Sculpture Walk feature blog on the amazing “Sea Swimmer” click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment