Thursday, June 5, 2014

June 5, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day "What The Nose Knows"


Despite the dark clouds hanging over other parts of our wonderful country today it was a gorgeous morning in Castlegar. It turned into a beautiful day, we surpassed the high for today early and right now as I type this it is 23 degrees at West Kootenay Regional Airport. Despite the warm temperature, sunny skies, new shoes and a fun dress I was feeling very sad this morning due to the events that have happened over the last twenty-four hours in Moncton, New Brunswick. 

I took a little breather before my show today looking for inspiration. I was looking for something light-hearted for my feature today on one of Castlegar's Sculpture Walk pieces, but I was drawn to one of the works that has stuck out to me from day one, "What the Nose Knows." There really isn't much commentary here for this to tie in with the events that made me feel a little gloomy this morning. But, I will mention that this huge piece was one of the first sculptures I noticed this year. I watched it being installed the day of the Sculpture Walk Gala and waited in anticipation to hear its story at the event. 

"What the Nose Knows" is one of the largest sculptures in Castlegar's Sculpture Walk this year. I have heard that it had to point a specific way to avoid starting fires, I'm not sure if this is just an hilarious story or the truth but it seems to make sense.

To be completely honest with you, "What the Nose Knows" reminds me of the Doctor T. J. Eckleburg's billboard mentioned in The Great Gatsby, maybe that is just a personal thing. 

Anyways, I will exhibit a little bias here and tell you that his is one of my favourite pieces this year. I know, it is only the second sculpture in my blog series but it has stood out to me from the moment I saw it. It is visually striking, fun and most importantly it makes you think. The artist Ron Simmer's commentary from The Castlegar Sculpture Walk website describes it best:

He decries the “nosiness” of government and corporations for their relentless accumulation of data, and their reluctance to provide it freely to the individuals whose information it is. In light of the intrusive actions of spy agencies like the NSA and CSEC in their collection of metadata using highly questionable methods and rationale in doing so, it is a prescient comment. (From the Castlegar Sculpture Walk Website)

How can I top that? Simple, I cannot. Thank you Ron Simmer for "What the Nose Knows" it is one of the most unique pieces that I have seen on the walk and I am so happy it was my feature on this rough day.  

For more about "What the Nose Knows" and Ron Simmer click here.

To check out my previous feature on "Sphere of Influence" click here


I was a little busy Wednesday with Tim Hortons Camp Day so I skipped a day of sculpture posts, number three will be up tomorrow for sure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment