Monday, June 9, 2014

June 9, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day "Song of the Flying Dutchman"

Todays Castlegar Sculpture Walk sculpture of the day is about another one of the sculptures that really stood out to me from the first time I saw it at the Gala. The sculpture I am featuring in my blog looks like it is straight out of a fairy tale; it is “Song of the Flying Dutchman” from Kyle Fokken from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Another international artist helping line Castlegar’s streets with art!

“Song of the Flying Dutchman” is one of my favourite sculptures this year because it is whimsical and even a little magical. It reminds me of Peter Pan. The caption on the Sculpture Walk plaque sums up this incredible sculpture better than I ever can.

Thank you to RHC Insurance, Oglow Paints & Wallcoverings for sponsoring this piece. I think it provides a special magical feel to Sculpture Walk. There are so many sculptures that are inspired by nature, politics and life in general; “Song of the Flying Dutchman” takes us away from our ordinary world and life to a special place.

“Song of the Flying Dutchman” is in contention for my “People’s Choice Award” ballot.  I would love to have this sculpture in my backyard, part of a secret garden or another special place.


For my previous blog on “Northern Leopard Frog” click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment