Tuesday, June 3, 2014

June 3, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day "Sphere of Influence"

Things have been so busy lately that I have not been able to do Castlegar's famous Sculpture Walk yet. Yes, I went to the Gala where we got to see sneak peek of all of this year's entries but I have not been able to fully devote an afternoon to experiencing the entire walk. Things are looking busy for the next little while, so I thought I would feature one sculpture at a day until I have completed the entire walk. To be honest with you, I still have not changed my winter tires, that is how busy life has been over the past couple of weeks! I guess it is fitting that I mention that considering the first sculpture I am featuring is created from just that… tires!

The work of art that I am featuring today is one that caught my eye because it was almost hidden in my Castlegar City Hall. I know you are looking at "Sphere of Influence" and thinking, “how could that be hidden, it is huge!” I don't know what made it so special today, but it seemed to fit in with my morning walk around Castlegar and really stuck out to me. I have seen many of the pieces from quick walks around town and my daily commute, but today I really saw "Sphere of Influence" for the first time.

I think it spoke to me today because as I get older I realize how much of an impact even the smallest things have on the bigger picture. The Chamber of Commerce gala Saturday night really inspired me; I have always been a proponent of the buy local movement but seeing all of the hard-working people with their local businesses at the dinner really made me see the bigger picture once again about supporting the businesses that are owned by people right here in the Kootenays--- your friends and neighbors.

I did have another paragraph prepared here on about "Sphere of Influence" and all of the BC teachers’ action, but I felt things were getting a little deep for a Tuesday. Honestly, Tuesdays are all about tacos and movies for me; thinking past 5pm is a little too much.

Carl Schlichting is the Passmore resident who contributed "Sphere of Influence". Even though I have shown you a glimpse of this featured piece of Castlegar’s Sculpture Walk I really think you need to see it for yourself.


For more information about Castlegar’s Sculpture Walk and Carl Schlichting’s "Sphere of Influence" click here. 

In case you have not noticed, I know nothing about art. These simple words are my simple thoughts. Treat this paragraph as a disclaimer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment