Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Heel, Grab & Spin”


I have taken a few days off from my feature blogs on Castlegar's Sculpture Walk due to a very busy work schedule. Between the launch of The GOAT on Friday, being on location on Saturday at Andre's and a big staff party on Saturday night things were very busy over the past few days!

Today's Sculpture is one that caught my eye because it is absolutely fascinating. A little known fact about me is that I was once super into figure skating. That all stopped abruptly when I joined my little brother for his annual parents vs. kids hockey game. After that fateful night I forever tied up my gleaming white picked skates for a pile of sweaty gear and a Middleton Mustangs jersey. I was eleven and I maintain that it was one of the best life decisions I have ever made. 

Even though I traded my figure skates in for hockey skates I still am fascinated by the sport and I think "Heel, Grab and Spin" captures the beauty of figure skating in steel form so well. Not only does it exhibit the beauty of figure skating, I think it really captures the pride and freedom that comes with letting loose on the ice as well. 

"Heel, Grab and Spin" is an incredible sculpture from Minnesota's Judd Nelson. For more about Judd and his previous works on Castlegar's Sculpture Walk click here. Thanks to Trowelex Rentals & Sales for sponsoring this work! I wonder if it will be a skating companion for the hockey sculpture that is permanently part of Castlegar's collection on display outside of Tim Hortons. 


For my previous blog on Castlegar Sculpture Walk's “Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds” click here

No comments:

Post a Comment