Thursday, June 12, 2014

June 12, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds”

It was a smelly, hazy morning today in the Kootenay Boundary. We finally have been on the receiving end of some rain. Great for our local gardeners and for lil' ole me because I had been putting off washing my car. Thunderstorms knocked out my Internet for a while tonight so I am just getting today’s post up right now.


I am going to keep it short and sweet for today’s Castlegar Sculpture Walk work of the day. I tried to pick something colourful and inspiring on my morning walk about town, determined to not let the smelly day get me down. I think I managed to find a little vibrancy in the grey day from the work Kootenay Gallery has sponsored called “Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds”.

Gardening is a pastime I worry about. I hope kids today pick up gardening because we really need the beauty flowers and plants add to our communities and homes. I am horrible with plants. I have three in my apartment because I know they are mentally stimulating and they make me happy; I don’t think they are huge fans of their new adopted home living with me. Though I think they are slowly recovering from their first life on the shelves of Walmart, I certainly do not have a green thumb.

I love this sculpture because it reminds me of my mother. She had an old decoration at her business that was a bouquet of wooden block flowers that I repainted over and over again as a kid. It looked so tacky, I hope she threw it out; I have not seen it in years.

“Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds” is absolutely beautiful; unlike my tacky wooden block flowers. The colors are truly beautiful on this metal work sculpture, it was so hard to photograph this sculpture in all of its glory because the colours are much more vivid in real life and it was really hard to capture the wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow holding these magnificent metal flowers is absolutely overflowing with the blooming beauties.

I hope you are inspired to get out to the garden and grow something special of your own!

I am very happy that “Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds” is from another BC artist, Cajsa Fredin from Invermere! For more on Fredin and  “Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds” click here. 

To check out my previous Sculpture Walk blog on “Seventy-Six Trombones” click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment