Monday, August 19, 2013

Two of My Favourite Canadians: Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole

I am not a huge fan of change. I was really unhappy when I learned two of my favourite Canadians were planning on heading south of the border to Ammmurrrica. When Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole announced they were going to be leaving their program ‘Sportcentre’ on TSN my heart broke. I am a huge sports fan  I would fight the urge to read sports articles and watch game updates just to keep things fresh for the late-night edition of ‘Sportscentre’. Living on the East Coast you have to stay up pretty late to catch the live edition of the show, the live edition is the best run of the show because it roles unedited unlike other editions.

Jay and Dan are hilarious. When my boyfriend and I drove across Canada we listened to all of their Podcasts… yes, every single one. Listening to hours and hours of audio in a short duration of time can convince you that you actually know these people and give you a personal attachment, very strange (and worrying) indeed. The podcasts are part of my emotional reaction to this dynamic-duo moving stateside.

I seriously miss them on ‘Sportscentre’ as well. Seriously, all those crappy things you don't want to do ‘Sportscentre’ makes better. If you have the gumption to get your butt somewhere early in the day you can catch ‘Sportscentre’ in line rather than boring afternoon poker. That is the world I live in, waiting in line at the DMV, waiting out at the service centre, waking up from a hangover, going to the gym; all things made better by Jay and Dan’s presence (and made worse by TSN’s typical afternoon programming).

Seriously, if I could meet any of my media idols Jay and Dan come in second (they are “life partners” so they count as one person in my rulebook) to the almighty, Lorne Michaels.

I miss you Jay and Dan, TSN is  just not the same. I still love the main crew at 'Sportscentre', but they are lacking the Jay and Dan flare... 



This month Jay and Dan made their American debut; below you can check them out working blue in the US.










No comments:

Post a Comment