Saturday, August 3, 2013

Kate's Reading Challenge Book 3: ‘Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us’ by Michael Moss

One of my goals I set for myself on my twenty-fourth birthday was reading a book a week.  I am a little behind, moving twice and finishing school put a damper on my plan. To help motivate myself to finish books on time every week my new plan is to share my latest read with you on my blog. I will read anything and everything and I would love your suggestions, feel free to email them to me at kate@mountainfm.net.

Book 3: ‘Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us’ by Michael Moss.
I was instantly hooked on 'Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us' because I love learning about the horrible food I eat before I eat it. To be honest with you this book really did shock me with some of the details it reveals about things like processed foods, but I still eat them. I am pretty conscious about the things I put in my mouth 90% of the time, the other 10% is where the crap foods that this book talks about come in and I am completely fine with the ratio of good food to bad food that I put in my body.
With that being said, I would encourage people to read this book if they really struggle understanding what foods to buy when they go into the grocery store. Parts of the book talk about meetings between the heads of large companies, discussing strategy to get us commoners to eat their food. I now picture mafia style meetings whenever I see there logos. Personally, I think some of these companies are no better than drug dealers trying to get people to eat to things that are designed to be addictive even though they are horrible for our bodies. 
I really liked that this book is easy to read, it is not overly complicated. There were a few bits that went over my head, but I quickly worked them out. I think this is one of the best books about food that I have ever read; I rarely get through entire books about food because they can be so complex and overly complicated. 
If you are concerned with the foods you are eating, give this book a read. I unconsciously apply the lessons I have learned from it every time I buy groceries. 
'Wheat Belly' is another good book that is very down to earth in its discussion of contemporary food and health.  'Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us' is a little more legitimate (I think), though I completely agree with Wheat Belly I had a problem with the amount of anecdotal evidence used in the book. 'Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us' makes a better case by using historical data and evidence backed over time, rather than just telling stories about specific dietary cases. Read both though, they are both great reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment