Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kate Bruce, Lunchhour Refundable Queen

I am new to BC; I have lived here for about a month and a half now and some things are pretty different than my east coast home. In Nova Scotia my family is all about recycling, especially when it comes to refundables. Living with my boyfriend’s parents in Alberta it was pretty simple, everything went curbside and was sorted there. We never took the time to take them back ourselves. This kind of bothered me, every time I saw the wine bottles and drink cans go into the blue bin I thought of the small increment of change we could be saving for something… anything.

Now that we (my boyfriend and I) are out on our own, spreading our wings in the Kootenays I have once again become an avid recycling Queen. Why? Well, because every penny saved adds up (just ask Gail Vaz-Oxlade, her book coming up in Week 6 of my reading challenge is pushing me to be as financially responsible as possible). Also, the staff at Castlegar’s Return-It depot are avid Mountain FM listeners and I love going out and seeing the people who make it possible for me to pay my bills doing what I love.

I visited the Return-It depot on Columbia Ave. today on my lunch hour, right after my show at around 2:15pm. In heals and a dress, I was totally ignorant to the fact that here in BC you sort your own refundables. I stood looking at the sign for the longest time, dodging wasps and figuring it out for myself. I will admit, it would have been a pretty funny YouTube video; I looked totally clueless. After a while I figured it out, my sorting started to speed up and I moved the trays over to the counting counter (not sure how to describe that any better).

The best part came next, after the lovely lady working at the Depot counted my five trays of refundables she handed me a crisp $5.00 bill and two quarters. Not bad for something that takes just a minute of my time daily and a few minutes on my lunch break once a month. Straight into my Disney World fund it goes! Working my first real-world job I live on a pretty tight budget so I am constantly trying to find ways to get more out of my money.

I know you are thinking, lamest blog post ever Kate, everyone knows about returning bottles for cash. I know you know that I know that. Some people totally take this for granted, not only did I make a little bonus cash I helped out the environment. I learned a quick, easy and a little dirty lesson in plastics and materials and got to see support the people who make it possible to work at a job I love. Plus, plus, (a little dirty minus), plus and plus.


Seriously, if you don’t want your refundables you know where to find me between 10am-2pm everyday… but you would have to be pretty lazy to give that easy money!

No comments:

Post a Comment