Sunday, August 11, 2013

Kate's Reading Challenge Book 4: ‘Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead’ by Sheryl Sandberg

One of my goals I set for myself on my twenty-fourth birthday was reading a book a week.  I am a little behind, moving twice and finishing school put a damper on my plan. To help motivate myself to finish books on time every week my new plan is to share my latest read with you on my blog. I will read anything and everything and I would love your suggestions, feel free to email them to me at kate@mountainfm.net.

Book 4: ‘Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead’ by Sheryl Sandberg
I have heard a lot of criticism about ‘Lean In’. When people asked me, “What are you reading?” I received some pretty negative feedback from people who think Sheryl Sandberg’s arguments were feminist propaganda. I disagree.

I understand a lot of the arguments against ‘Lean In’ and I would advise haters to read this book before judging it. Yes, there is strong message advocating for females to have more equal treatment in the work place (which I completely agree with). Not everyone will agree with the points made with regard to gender barriers and roles in adulthood, but I think everyone can still take something from this read.

‘Lean In’ provides a ton of valuable information useful for professionals seeking leadership or desiring to be leaders in their field. Being new to the permanent work force, I will take some of her messages about mentorship and respect with me for the rest of my career.

I feel like so many people have been rapped up in the gender discussion this book created and forgot to read past the first couple pages. Sandberg’s message has been lost on people trying to combat feminism, which is a total shame because there is a lot of value in this book for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment