Wednesday, August 21, 2013

90's Moments: Netscape Navigator 3.0


Everyday I am one of the luckiest people in the Kootenays, I get to travel back in time to the 90s and talk about all of the things that made my childhood. My family did not have a computer until I was in the sixth grade. I learned the basis of everything I know about computing at my elementary school. Every classroom had one computer that was equipped with Windows 95, all of the others were DOS systems and for pure educational purposes. The one computer in the classroom that was Neopets friendly taught me everything I needed to know to be the computer whiz in my family when we bought our first computer in the year 2000. 


I'm not sure if we waited until 2000 to buy a computer because my parents did not want to have to worry about anything other than the VCR during the Y2K scare or if they simply wanted to regain the weekend afternoons they had been spending researching elementary school projects at our library. Regardless, we bought my aunt’s computer from her and entered the tech age. I spent a lot of time between the never-ending search for Carmen Sandiego and tying up my parent’s phone lines on Netscape Navigator. 


Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator 3.0! On this day, back in 1996 you were released. The initial Netscape Navigator was released in 1994; AOL made the final version of Netscape Navigator in 2007 (taking me all the way through to the end of high school) and stopped updating it in 2008. Contemporary Netscape Navigator is an internet portal, similar to the search engines it used back in the day like AltaVista. 

No comments:

Post a Comment