Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kate Learns: Sandbox, The Pride of New Glasgow

I am Nova Scotian to the core. 
If you don't notice it when I talk it is because I watched a whole lot of TV growing up.
Few people really comment on my Nova Scotian accent, its not a thing; so don't bother. 
One thing about us Scotians is that whenever Nova Scotia is mentioned on television, in movie or even in a Newspaper around the world we automatically feel the need to celebrate that acknowledgement. 
I will most likely blog about this in the future, I will move on to the point of this blog right now. 
When prepping for my radio show today I saw a track come up in the 'All Request 90s Nooner' that I had never heard of before, I did a little research to see just who exactly the band Sandbox was and I was delighted to learn the band was from New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. It got even better; I then learned Mike Smith was the band's guitarist. Mike Smith is one of the stars of a Canadian cult classic, The Trailer Park Boys. 

Sandbox was active between the years 1993 and 1998, releasing three albums in that time. They were nominated for one Juno and won three ECMAs (East Coast Music Awards). For more on Sandbox here is the link to their article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(band).


For a little perspective here is Sandbox's track 'Curious':


And here the Trailer Park Boys recently on Stroumbo:


No comments:

Post a Comment