Tuesday, August 27, 2013

#TuneTuesday: August 27, 2013

Unfortunately we will never share #MusicMonday because I work Tuesday to Saturday. So I will be hooking you up with my favorite music cuts on what I am calling #TuneTuesday. I would love it if you called it that too, lets make it a thing)

I am going to always try to pick one break out hit, a big band that everyone has heard from before and then another song I love from a Canadian band that I think deserves a shout out and attention for their incredible work. This week we have tunes form a band that hopes their song won’t go mainstream and may complain about playing it live if it does and another great collaboration from two amazing Maritimers.

1. MGMT- Your Life Is a Lie

This video really has it all. Seriously, I have watched it about a dozen times and all of the individual elements still are blowing my mind. I must say the talking dolphin, baby in the sky with a balloon and the trophy wife are my favourite parts. This video will mess with your mind a little bit; especially the old man eating a banana on beat towards the end, why is a simple banana is making him so happy? Most people in the video seem really happy that their life is a lie, maybe their lives are not lies and they are just seriously enjoying telling all of us that our lives are lies (light bulb moment). This is a pretty cool video (in my opinion), even though it is the type of video that makes you wonder what drugs the director was on when it was strung together. The song is pretty catchy too; I hummed it all day after my first viewing. Hopefully it only gets mildly popular so that MGMT can still enjoy it themselves… being mainstream is so not cool, right?



2. David Myles- How’d I Ever Think I Loved You

I have been waiting on this one; I wasn’t sure it really fits our rock format but I think it has stood the test of time and deserves a mention. Watch it for David Myles smooth dance moves alone. ‘How’d I Ever Think I Loved You’ is so catchy; David Myles and Classified make a great team. I saw them perform at an ECMA after party this spring and they are brilliant live too. This video will take you back to your first crush in grade school, it is so fun. David Myles reminds me of that substitute teacher you would have whenever your teacher was sick, the type of sub you would totally mess with (like switching instruments in band class) you know the type of sub that tries to teach a class instead of showing the assigned movie. His disguises through the video are priceless as well. Not only is this a great video, I think it is a great breakup song for those who have parted on bad terms. It is not sad and depressing, it is addictive to the ears and I am sure you will find yourself singing it later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment