Friday, July 26, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons, Write a Blog

I have tried to hush-up about a little car accident I was part of a little over two weeks ago on my vacation, but today I just have to vent about it a little bit.

Here is the story: On our drive back to Calgary to leave for my boyfriend’s family trip to New York we left Mountain FM when I was done work around 5pm, we knew we would be getting into Calgary late but we wanted the extra time at home to check out Stampede. Around 11:30PM we were on a dark stretch of road (somewhere between Black Diamond and

Pincher Creek) and a bear found its way onto the road. My car was pretty damaged by the hit and the bear died as a result. After around 45 minutes of waiting for emergency services we finally were able to get out of the car (the bear had been alive for a while and we did not want to cross paths with it so we stayed in the car), I don’t think I have ever had a longer wait for anything my entire life. We had to keep the car on, it was pitch dark outside and we only managed to have one bar of cell phone service between the two of us. Looking back at it we were pretty lucky to get a complete phone call in to 911 at all.

Now almost three weeks later I still am trying not to think about it because it makes me pretty sad. My little car was a brand-new, three and a half month old 2013 Ford Focus and I love (maybe loved) it so much! Every time I get into the 2006 Ford Taurus I am renting it makes me sad, I have never connected with a car before… now I know that feeling. Even though I had only had it for three months we had been through a lot together, driving from Nova Scotia all the way to the Kootenays. We spent many hours together… especially a rough one stranded in Fargo, North Dakota after my boyfriend misinterpreted the amount of kilometers left on the gas meter.

Part of me feels a little stupid for having such an emotional response to a material thing, even though my iPhone shattered when the airbags deployed I don’t get the same response when I look at it… I am not a huge fan of the glass shards sticking out of it, but that is a physical thing. I had been pretty hardcore about protecting my little iPhone, after seeing some of the damage people I know have done to their iPhones. The feeling I get when I look at it now is just a little reminder that instead of sliding into my cute little ‘candy blue’ Ford Focus, I will be climbing into a vehicle that still has a tape deck.


I am so thankful no one was injured (past bumps, bruises, cuts and soreness) in the accident, but my heartaches for my little car. I can’t wait to have her back (or one of her many twins), until then I will continue to be petty; hoping and preying for her speedy recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment