Friday, December 27, 2013

The Mystery Days Between Christmas and New Years

I started writing a blog the other day (before Christmas), when I was trying to get into the festive mood about my family's Christmas traditions (I need to finish it, it was getting pretty long). 

This being my first Christmas away from home there is a lot I miss, some of the things would be happening now, not necessarily during the lead up to Christmas. Neighbors dropping in for a drink to share some baked goods or sweets and see everyone's haul of presents. Boxing Day in my home town is a huge deal, we don't do Boxing Day shopping in my neck of the woods; we spend the day in the rink. Everyone who has played hockey for my High School's Hockey teams is invited to take part in grad games that make up a mini tournament and then everyone over 19 heads to the only bar in town and drinks all the eggnog they have.  

I am a staying in girl for New Year’s Eve, I have had my share of nights out but I have learned the most fun is when my siblings, cousins and my boyfriend all do a group activity like skating and then set some fireworks off in then the youngins go to sleep and us older kids settle in for board games and unhealthy food. 

To top it all off, New Year’s Day we wake to the icing on the cake presents-wise. Santa visits the children/big kids in the MacDonald and Bruce households with stockings full of his "leftovers" from the North Pole. 


Yes, to me it is all magical. I love the mysterious days between Christmas and New Year’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment